Friday, January 21, 2011

Bodies

I don't really know how to approach this post. While Becca and I were driving back from church last Sunday we saw a large group of people gathered around the road. As we got closer I saw a strange something in the middle of the road. I started saying, "What is that? What is that?" Because I was driving I was lucky I didn't see to much. There was a dead man laying in the road with no arms and no legs. Apparently there had been a car accident. We drove a little farther and then there was a pile of 4 or so more. As soon as I caught a tiny glimpse I put up my hand so I wouldn't see anymore. Becca was sitting in the front seat with Rodriguez on her lap. She thought very quickly & covered his eyes before he saw anything. Unfortunately because I said "What is that?" both times Becca got a really good look at everything. She described what she saw as "Human roadkill" I'm so happy I didn't see all of that, and so sad Becca had to. She was very upset & cried for a long time after. We also had 4 older boys Tou Tou, Emmanuel, Kenzy, and Enel with us. The didn't react at all. Neither did the people in the streets. They all had blank faces. I wonder if they are desensitized after all the death they saw last year. It would make sense as a defense mechanism for them. Then yesterday when we were leaving Haiti driving through Carrefour we saw a large group of people a UN truck unloading soldiers, then we looked out our window and saw another body. We aren't sure what happened there, but there was a lot of blood...and the same blank faces all around.

I'm not sharing this with you to be gruesome. I'm sharing so you know what is happening in other places. Maybe some of those people could have lived had they gotten care quickly. Those people were someones family. Can you imagine if your father or brother was killed and was laying on a street bleeding with no care? No one to even cover their body after they had passed? Those two events gave me a huge reality check. Haiti needs so much help. The earthquake wasn't the beginning of the need and it certainly isn't the end. We live in the overly developed, overly everything world. We need to share our resources. We are sooo close to Haiti but its like we live a world away...

1 comment:

  1. If you touch the body, it's your responsibility to bury it - so no one ever touches the bodies. They wait for the PNH (police) to show up and then eventually an ambulance comes.

    If the last one was on this past Sunday, The deceased was a local (18-19) guy who ran a gambling racket. He owed a lot of people money. They stoned him Saturday night. The UN soldiers were there because it was an undetermined crime and Michel Martelly was due in Carrefour that morning.

    Don't ask me how, in Haiti, I was actually able to get the facts straight, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

    Come back soon! :-)

    PS - You white girls shouldn't be chatting up any Haitian anyone. You're gonna get yourself in trouble.

    ReplyDelete