Friday, January 21, 2011

White girls

If you're white, and you are in Haiti its kind of like you are a celebrity. I didn't really recognize this till this trip. It was made quite apparent to me when my lovely skinny tall white friend Rebecca came. Before she came my interactions were limited to the orphanage and the people in the area. I really just thought they were friendly & could tell I wasn't at home. Then we got out a little more. We had to go to doctors in Carrefour and all through Leogane to find socks & shoes for the little girls. Men were falling in love left & right. It was funny at first. At a car wash we went to a man asked for Beccas number and our translator gave the man his number. About 10 minutes after leaving he called and professed his love through our translator. Hillarious. Then we went to the market & like I wrote before some man told me he loved me & asked me to kiss him. Others said I love you baby. On a different trip to the market one guy kept telling becca he loved her. It was crazy. Then this past week we met a fellow named Pooshon. He spoke a little english and was chatting Becca up. Becca informed me that this guy was an attractive guy. SO my mischievous self decided I needed a picture of them together. He seemed really nice. We got his phone number. Now don't think for one minute that we were really setting anything up. We aren't that dumb :) Anyway we talked to him a little on the phone. The conversations consisted of hi, how are you and thats about it. Then! Pooshon really fell hard and sent Becca txts that started with Darling and Baby and told of his burning love for her. I told him "too much too soon. Girls don't like when you just meet them then send txts like that" He replied he did not understand. I said, "You don't know Becca. You aren't in love with her" to which he replied word for word "I feel love her. Don't thinks the negativity about me amy"

Anywho! The point of me telling you all this is that Becca & I came to realize a sad thing. We white girls don't know if anyone really likes us for us. They just like the color of our skin and/or whatever they think that means. I'm not just talking about boy girl relationships. I'm married so I hope I'm not having any of those :) haha. Anyway its saddening. You want people to like you for you. Not what you can give them.

I'm just going to keep trucking. Show the people I interact with as much of me as I can and try to build real relationships. I know as long as I am in Haiti I will have interactions like this. I know that I will get charged extra, be loved by some, and hated by others all because of what I look like. I love Haiti/ Ayiti for everything it is and for everything it is not. I take the bad and the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment